Another big advantage of PC gaming saves the day for me.

I am no longer a "hardcore" gamer. I still buy the latest hardware, I care about the best graphics and performance. I also love the ability to switch between controller and keyboard/mouse as per the game. However I can no longer tolerate getting stuck in a game or just overly complex systems in a game. I play single player games pretty much for the experience now barring a few exceptions.

While I obviously knew this all along but only recently I have started using trainers for many games that I find too difficult or complex to enjoy. There was a time when even looking up YouTube or a walkthrough for help was blasphemy for the hardcore gamer in me. But those times are long gone.

As far as I know you can't really cheat in many games on consoles and that to me is just ridiculous. If I couldn't cheat I'll probably have given up on gaming by now or at least would be thinking of doing that. Having to give up on immersive storylines and gameworlds just because I got stuck somewhere would be quite a turn off for future games.

I play on Xbox though and while it’s true that we can’t cheat by installing mods or whatever, we can still look up walkthroughs just the same. What I usually do is start playing a game at a high level of difficulty, turning off assists and HUD elements. And then as I progress, if the game gets too hard for me to enjoy, I can gradually turn them back on, but usually by that time I’ve gotten good enough at that specific game that I don’t need to anymore.

Recently AC:Black Flag. Now I know it’s not actually a recent game but I only played it now. The naval battles just started feeling stupidly tough and I really could not be bothered to study all the upgrades available and "plan" my ship for battle. Building a ship is really not what I wanna do in an AC game. There is no difficulty setting in this game.