Ruby Newbie...The right way to promote your skills

I am very new to ruby and programming in general. I have searched the net, and there seems to be an agreement that Ruby is the best place for new programmers. I know I am jumping the gun, but when I am ready, what is the best way to get employers to realize that I have the skills they need? There are some pet projects that I have been thinking about for years, but they are very generic and I've heard it's not a good idea to redo something that been done to death. Anyway, I just wanted to know if you guys have any tips on how to let employers know that you have what they are looking for.

I am very new to ruby and programming in general. I have searched the net, and there seems to be an agreement that Ruby is the best place for new programmers. I know I am jumping the gun, but when I am ready, what is the best way to get employers to realize that I have the skills they need? There are some pet projects that I have been thinking about for years, but they are very generic and I've heard it's not a good idea to redo something that been done to death. Anyway, I just wanted to know if you guys have any tips on how to let employers know that you have what they are looking for.

Thanks to all that reply,

Thanks to all that reply,I am very new to ruby and programming in general. I have searched the net, and there seems to be an agreement that Ruby is the best place for new programmers. I know I am jumping the gun, but when I am ready, what is the best way to get employers to realize that I have the skills they need? There are some pet projects that I have been thinking about for years, but they are very generic and I've heard it's not a good idea to redo something that been done to death. Anyway, I just wanted to know if you guys have any tips on how to let employers know that you have what they are looking for.

Thanks to all that reply,I am very new to ruby and programming in general. I have searched the net, and there seems to be an agreement that Ruby is the best place for new programmers. I know I am jumping the gun, but when I am ready, what is the best way to get employers to realize that I have the skills they need? There are some pet projects that I have been thinking about for years, but they are very generic and I've heard it's not a good idea to redo something that been done to death. Anyway, I just wanted to know if you guys have any tips on how to let employers know that you have what they are looking for.