A Question of Preservation

I'm almost 30 and I've always loved photography, almost decided to make it a career, but instead I just take lots of personal photos of family events, but also lots of nature scenes too. Lately I've been working on organizing them better for years I've just dumped whatever I've taken on my Nikon and my iPhone and just dumped it onto my computer, however I'm now going through and trying to better organize everything into proper albums, events, geotag, check the time/date stamps etc. it's a big task for 8,000 photos. Anyhow this got me thinking as I'm using a Mac and the Photos app to do this I started thinking about presveration, and I don't mean preservation in making a backup to Time Machine/external hard drive, or even making a backup to a cloud service, what I'm talking about is how to preserve these so my future generations can enjoy all these photos? Awhile back I started looking through my parents photo albums and I've had good intentions of digitally converting all of that as well which would be a big job as well, but I got to thinking how many of the photos that I've taken am I going to ever print? I view almost all of these photos exclusively on digital devices, I haven't had any children yet, and of course grand children are probably at least a quarter century away for me, but lets say god forbid something happens to me when I'm say 45? Are all these photos just going to be on a hard drive? On a cloud service? Maybe locked away on technology that is obsolete? Should I just print all these? It's not crazy to think that the technology we're using today, mainly the standards can change dramatically overtime. Look at the consumer photo market, 35mm film was around for a long time, but along the way there were all kinds of other crazy standards, I remember finding some negatives in parents house that my grandfather had taken in 1960's, it was on some crazy looking film I didn't recognize, after doing some research I found out that it was some weird size that basically was nearly impossible to get reprinted. I feel like it's not to crazy to think that maybe in 40 years jpeg will be an obsolete standard and no modern application at that time will be able to open the file without some crazy backwards compatibility or something, anyhow just food for thought, I wanted to know what others thought about this, or if anybody has ever thought about this?

Yes. That would be a start.
    You might find this interesting:

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...-pictures.html
    And this one:
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...tlast-you.html
    Make sure you read the comments, too. You’ll be hard pressed to find better discussions on this topic anywhere online.

All standards, digital and analog, rise and fall. The difference is with digital you can see this rise and fall happening and prepare accordingly. I still have files I had on floppy drive in the late 80’s and then transferred to Zip drives and then to CD roms and then to hard discs and now to solid state drives and cloud storage.

And I also have files that have been transcoded several times. Jpeg and RAW may not be with us forevrer but they are popular enough that we will have programs that help us move them to whatever comes next. Its not like you just wake up one day and Jpeg or mp3’s/AAC’s will be gone. The process takes time. So unless you just have your head under a rock for a decade or more you will likely have a opportunity to convert to the next standard.