The Intel Compute Stick, Now With Core M inside

From left to right: Core m5 stick, Core m3 stick, Atom stick, and first-generation Compute Stick.

Pricing depends on the stick you buy and whether it includes an OS, and we don't have an MSRP for everything yet. The old Compute Stick had a Windows version and a separate Ubuntu version with less storage and RAM. The new ones either come with Windows 10 or no operating system at all, and the specs are the same either way—users can install their preferred Linux distribution on their own. The Atom version has an MSRP of $159 with an OS, but we don't know how much the OS-free version will cost. The Core m3 version will cost about $400 with Windows and "closer to $300" with no OS. The m5 version costs $499 and is only being offered with no operating system, the assumption being that it will be of the most interest to enterprises who will be loading their own OSes anyway.

At that price who is this appealing to? The kind of use cases where this gets strapped to the back of a large TV are perfectly fine with the Atom version. And for desk use, at $500 + OS License you can get a decent laptop.

This could potentially run a display array, not just a single large TV. I own/run a small store and I’m interested, though undecided. We currently use an Android-based stick for our displays but it’s difficult to even get it to do two things at once (like play music while showing a different video), and it stutters when it does it. I’ve wanted to have several displays going at once but there’s no way that thing would manage that, and I don’t want another desktop or laptop stashed somewhere.

Kinda interesting how the entry Surface Pro 4 and (somewhat) Macbook are running what it’s basically in the 2nd and 1st sticks.