There's No Perfect Camera...

So first of all, before I create another thread about GAS and cameras and sensors and yada, yada, yada, I want to legalize it with a photograph. You know, to keep myself reminded of the end goal.

It's also important to include because this is the kind of image I love creating, and where my perspective comes from. Your type of photography may have totally different requirements. For this shot, I was hiking with my friends, one camera (Panasonic GX7) and lens (Olympus 11-22mm) slung over my shoulder, no tripod, no filters, no other photographic accoutrements besides spare batteries. I was carrying food, water, a camp stove, and warm clothing instead.

It's a handheld 5 or 6 portrait image stitch @ 13mm f4.5, merged and edited in Lightroom, and then re-stretched to fit and cropped in Photoshop. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. There's more I could do to fiddle with it, but it's "okay" for me. But it was a fair bit of effort to get there. I bracketed the exposures to give myself latitude for working in post, and then tweaked and fiddled with the optimal exposures from each before merging to maintain maximum dynamic range.

And I find that time and time again, dynamic range is the limitation that I find with M4/3. Resolution is not really that big a problem - handheld panoramas are easy - this is a 44MP stitch, and the field of view wouldn't be possible to produce without a panorama on any system, so that's plenty big enough for me as far as working files go. Low light could be better, but I've made peace with it - I've got fast primes, and ISO 3200 or 6400 are usable for me, though not nice for group shots where faces are made of relatively few pixels.

But dynamic range is a killer. I feel like I'm always struggling to maintain the tonality I want in the skies. I like shooting into the sun, it makes for dramatic light, and often times the best compositions in my environment end up with the sun in the frame, so that's not something I can work around (nor is it something I want to, if we're honest).