How much RAM do you have?

How much RAM do you have on your main PC? Is it just right what you need or you think it no't enough or even overkill? I have 8 gigabytes and it's generally enough but on my next laptop I want 16 gigs.

AMA request: People with +96GB of RAM – why?

Photoshop or another memory intensive program. Or Virtual machines. I say this as someone with a machine that only has 16gb of RAM (it can hold 192gb, possibly more when 32gb sticks finally come out)

Jesus, what are you doing in Photoshop that requires more than 16GB? Photoshop was considered a memory hog when PC’s had like 512MB… but the kind of photos people actually work on in Photoshop haven’t gotten any bigger since then, even while the average new PC’s memory has increased by at least 16 times over that era. For example, a 72004800 photo at 24 bit depth (way larger than most people ever work on) is approximately 100MB uncompressed in memory. A couple of those at once would kill a 512MB PC from 1996, but a 16GB machine wouldn’t even notice it.

content from reference site

I have 16GB and I pretty regularly run Photoshop with several workspaces open (multiple layers in each), and Sony Vegas, MS Excel, Word, Chrome and Firefox at the same time. In fact, that was my day today for work. And I don’t have any issues.