How to use Numbered Lists inside HTML tables

Difficulty using Ordered Lists in HTML tables

I can't figure out how to use Ordered Lists inside HTML tables.
    The following is an Ordered List Outside of any HTML table:
    1. Decimal type
    2. Tea
    3. Coca Cola
    The Ordered List above is perfect, i.e., exactly what I want, when the list is outside of a table.

I can't figure out a way to keep the Ordered List numbering working (as shown above) when the Ordered List appears inside a table, as shown in the pdf file at this url:
    "http://www.theadhdsolution.net/publicmisc/Difficulty%20using%20Ordered%20Lists%20in%20HTML%2 0tables.docx.pdf[^]"

I need the numbering to continue from the Left cell in the first row (in the table in the pdf) to the Left cell in the second row (in the pdf), to the left cell in the 3d row (in the pdf).

Someone told me that there's a rule somewhere in the W3c specs saying that Ordered List nuimbering cannot work across cells (from one cell to another) in a table. If that's true:
    1. I'd love to know where to find that rule; I've been looking for it for a while; and
    2. I'm hoping that someone will know of some alternate method for making sequential numbers appear in tables.

Thanks,

I suggest using some javascript or server-side coding that simply counts and assigns numbers to the table rows, and then writes that number in the HTML.

Thank you. Very helpful suggestion. Much appreciated.

Here is a simple javascript function that will show the Row number and an element from an array in the cell beside it. It could be changed to suit your purposes.

content from reference site