Hybrid View

No USB devices work, not har

Everything was working fine with my Win7 computer until a couple of days ago, when my USB mouse stopped working. It seems to be related to two "Unknown device" devices that show up in Device Manager. I've tried deleting them, but they come back, because when I delete them and all the other USB devices (root hub, etc.), things get re-detected after reboot, and the mouse has power and works briefly, until those two devices get detected. after which it stops working.

I've tried deleting all unused device drivers, and also tried deleting all USB devices. I removed my video card and went back to onboard video just in case, with no improvement. I've also tried looking for the USB Upper and Lower Filter values in the registry, but they aren't present to begin with. Someone also said to try deleting INFCACHE.1 to let it rebuild, but that didn't help either.

There is no USB hub, the mouse is plugged directly into the back of the motherboard. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue, because the USB mouse works fine when I boot into a Mini-XP environment from DVD. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On the Unknown Devices right click and select Properties. Under the details tab select HardwareIDs in the dropdown box. Post the first line for each Unknown Device.

Edit: Have you tried a System Restore to a date before the issue began?

USB\VID_8087&PID_0024&REV_0000

Both devices show the same line.

I have not yet tried system restore.