Build your own Laptop, thoughts...

It’s not going to happen. Pretty much all laptop hardware at this point is custom without any standardization. Making it modular would mean a bigger, heavier, worse build quality device with worse battery life, and on top of that much more expensive. Maybe someone would buy that, but it’s not a viable product in any way.
    It was viable for desktops because you could stick all of it into a giant box and strap a 500w PSU to it. That’s not true for a portable device.
    What combination of things do you want from a laptop that aren’t offered by any existing devices?

Even if any manufacturer would, it would wind up being bigger and heavier which are key factors for laptops. Same as Google’s brick phone – ain’t going to happen.

I was going to mention the ARA modular phone as an example.

I came here to say exactly this. I love my custom built Desktop, but I wouldn’t be willing to make the same size and power compromises I made there with my laptop.

It probably wouldn’t be as profitable for the suppliers and now they build by specs and sell in bulk. The best thing to do now is buy a barebones and add HD/SSD, Memory and sometimes a DGP.