Hybrid View

Tips for college student interested in IP Law

VoxMediaUser604384

Yes and no. If you want to do patent prosecution (applying for and getting patents issued while practicing before the USPTO), Then yes, you do. Kinda. You can also do your own classes etc up to a certain number of required credits to qualify for the patent bar. Here’s the info: http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/exam/index.jsp
    That said, if all you want to do it litigate patents (defend or prosecute infringement etc) you don’t NEED an engineering degree or to take the patent bar. BUT, many firms look for the science degree. With that training, you can talk the talk and be able to understand the patents and technologies you are working with. That also means the firm has to train you less.
    SO, I would say that you don’t need it, but you really should get it. Biology is a good degree because you get exposure to all kinds of science across the board. That’s what i did.

You’ll have a real tough time finding any work in IP Law without a science or engineering degree. I find that most firms these days are looking for Electrical or Computer Engineers.

This is right on the money. The only IP litigators I’ve encountered without technical degrees have some sort of connection that got them the job. And of course you can’t do any patent prosecution without passing the Patent Bar, which requires a technical degree.
    Get an engineering degree. PolySci is useless for IP. If you go to law school and try to get a job in IP, you will regret your major.

I’m a 2L and I am currently taking IP and Entertainment Law. I’m sure you know that IP also includes copyright, trademark, and trade secrets, none of which require a degree or additional bar exam. I’d recommend doing what Modred189 said if you are truly passionate about patents and can have an in-depth understanding of the science along with the law.
    Honestly, I’d recommend taking as many law-related classes (i.e., con law, criminal justice, etc.) as you can during undergrad to prepare for law school. If you happen to throw in a B.S. degree, then that will help you as Modred189 pointed out. However, I’d be selective in what science degree you get. As Samwelnella said, it’s a tough market even for patent attorneys. I would highly recommend thinking of where you ideally want to live when you get out of school and look at the types of legal jobs that are open.