Most will aim to offer some sort of paid pro version, or potentially implement ads. I haven’t seen ads much, but pro accounts/subscriptions are very common.
    However, as you mention, another revenue/exit opportunity is building a product that a big company will just go out and buy because it’s easier than having to build in house or they need the talent (acqui-hire).

How to-do apps make money?

Yes, I also didn’t see ads probably because they are productivity apps. And advertising may distract users more or less.
    Being acquired by big company however is not a happy thing for users like you & me. I hope that TickTick won’t be acquired by any company because I really don’t want to take time to search for another replacement.

Does being acquired by a larger company introduce a defect into the software? Why would you stop using an app that you otherwise enjoy?

They don’t.
    They throw some code around a good idea and pitch it to VC’s, effectively selling a portion of the company for cash.
    They then burn through that cash improving on the idea until they either get acquired by a large company, or close down.